Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Kicking the addiction" or "Going natural while saving money"


I had read this post and decided that I was going to give it a try. I have a long history of obsessing over my hair. As I have gotten older I do not change my hair color or style as much. However, the one thing that has not changed is my addiction to hair products. If it claims to retain color, fight frizz and give you ever lasting shine I have bought it and used it. Over the past year I found some products that I really liked that were vegan, all natural, and did exactly everything they claimed to do. I had shampoo, conditioner, volume enhancer, styling cream and paste. So that is five products at $30 a piece. They only lasted a couple of months at most. Although, they were my miracle products their effects only lasted two maybe three days. Then my hair would get greasy looking and feel sticky. I was investing a lot of time and money into my hair which I had always done. Since finishing grad school I have some more pressing financial responsibilities than spending $150 on hair products. I had to mentally prepare myself to cease the product use. Last night I was ready, to at least try it. I washed my hair with NaHCO3 and conditioned with an organic apple cider vinegar. I was surprised that my hair was not a tangled mess. I blow dried my hair and noticed that it seemed shinier, but not the product application kind of shiny but a more realistic shiny. My hair also seems fuller with more volume than before. I had been using a volumizer before because my hair seemed to stick to my head. Maybe I was using too many products or the conditioner was weighing my hair down. So far so good...

No comments: